DECLARATION OF THE INTERNATIONAL MEETING OF THE CITY MAYORS DEDICATED TO ISSUES OF THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
- In the 21st century, cities are the key drivers of the economic growth in the world. In 2007, more than a half of the global population lived in the cities. As the experts forecast, by 2050 that share of the population will approach 75%.
- Today, as the experts evaluate, 75% of energy consumption and 75% of carbon dioxide emission occur in the cities.
- At the present time, the largest cities of the world define the strategy of the sustainable development when planning the key development directions of the urban environment.
- Under sustainable city development we, the city mayors, first of all understand the sustainable economic growth, increase of accessibility, competitiveness, and reliability of the energy supply, protection of the environment.
- We are convinced that the sustainable development of the cities will contribute to reaching of goals of the Paris Agreement as well as the sustainable development goals declared by the UN.
- We are convinced that transfer to the sustainable development of a city demands the complex approach based on implementation of the clean and energy efficient technologies and changing of the public behavioral model.
- We acknowledge that the acceptance of the higher standards in the area of the sustainable development of the cities will contribute to increase of the energy efficiency, protection of the environment, establishment of culture and popularization of the energy effective way of life.
- We define that key areas of application of the forward-looking standards of provision of the urban life activity are: implementation of the «smart city» technologies, innovational energy effective heat technologies, technologies of construction of houses with higher energy saving standards, transfer to LED-illumination and formation of the new quality of the light environment in the city, implementation of the idea of the wide application of the renewable sources of energy in the urban areas and development of the clean transport.
- We support the subsequent extension of the international cooperation in the area of the energy efficiency and sustainable development of the cities, including such directions as experience exchange between the cities, formation and filling-in of the international databases for the qualitative formation of the milestones and priority directions for the sustainable development of the cities on the basis of the international bench-marking.
- While accepting the importance of formation of culture and popularization of the energy effective way of life to reach the goals of the sustainable development of the cities we encourage the cities to support and to actively participate in the public events dedicated to the energy efficiency, including energy saving festivals.
- We will encourage cities joining this declaration aiming to reach, with our joint efforts, by 2025 saving of 1 billion tons of the reference fuel.
- We greet the success of the first meeting of mayors which took place in Moscow on November 23, 2016 and we support the initiative to annually conduct the meeting of mayors in different cities to consider the issues of energy efficiency and sustainable development.
- The declaration is open for city officials supporting the initiative and ready to join the mutual declaration of the international meeting of the city mayors.
In order to join the declaration, please contact us using the form below: